Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Suddenly being prompted for username and password on new site?

I have a small site that I launched a week ago. All static pages other than one page that emails user inquiries to me. I just had the default permissions and no extra authentication setup, no logins, etc. I changed one word on one page this morning, published the site to our webserver through VS2003, everything worked fine. I modified one other page, basically commenting out a <DIV> tag, published the site. Now it prompts me for a username and password for every page. If I keep hitting the cancel button, the page will eventually display, sometimes only partially (some graphics might be missing, the header and/or sidebar image are missing on some pages), but the page displays with at least most of the info.

I didn't touch the directory/file or IIS configuration, didn't edit the web.config file, etc. I tried un-commenting the DIV tag, but nothing changes. It works fine on the http://localhost web server on my development machine through VS.

What permissions should the default anonymous website visitor have in the website directory/sub-dirs/files?

What can I do to fix this, it's on our live site. Thanks.

After thinking about it and the way the graphics weren't all showing, I dug some more and discovered that when I clicked on my /Images directory, I got an 'access is denied' dialog on the server. I rebooted the web server and then the /Images directory didn't show up at all, so I re-published the website from VS and it works now. Freaky...

0 comments:

Post a Comment